(Lights up on a barber shop in New York’s Little Italy, 1931. It is 11:40 a.m. on a Monday morning. The shop is quiet. GIUSEPPE, the barber, is 49. He straightens things up around the shop, trying to keep busy. ROSA, the manicurist is 42. She sits at a small table and idly reads an Italian-language newspaper. Both GIUSEPPE and ROSA have retained a trace of their accents.)
ROSA
Any customers today, you think?
GIUSEPPE
You ask that every day. Why do you ask that?
ROSA
Times are hard.
GIUSEPPE
Yes, but people still have to get their hair cut. And some ladies, their nails done.
ROSA
Francesca Callamini cuts her husband’s hair at home. She says she don’t know why anyone would spend good money on a haircut.
GIUSEPPE
They spend good money on a haircut so they don’t end up looking like Fracnesca Callamini’s husband!
(ROSA stifles a laugh.)
ROSA
You know what day it is?
GIUSEPPE
Of course I know what day it is. It’s Monday.
ROSA
Yes, but do you know the date.
GIUSEPPE
(Impatiently) Yes. You think I forget these things, but I don’t.
ROSA
Did you go and visit?
GIUSEPPE
I will after work.
ROSA
Always leaving things to the last minute.
GIUSEPPE
He’s not going anywhere.
ROSA
(Shocked) Such a thing to say!
GIUSEPPE
Spiacente. I was not thinking.
ROSA
Such a thing to say.
GIUSEPPE
I’m sorry!
(Pause.)
GIUSEPPE
Did you visit?
ROSA
I will go after work.
GIUSEPPE
Ah ha! Now who is not thinking?!
ROSA
I went to church this morning! I did not have time.
GIUSEPPE
And I did?
ROSA
You never go to church.
(GIUSEPPE is amused, but quickly returns to a somber mood.)
GIUSEPPE
Did Giorgio go with you to church this morning?
(ROSA scoffs.)
ROSA
He was still asleep when I left the house.
GIUSEPPE
He should have gone with you.
ROSA
I cannot control what he does.
GIUSEPPE
He should have known to go with you. On today of all days.
ROSA
He was sleeping.
GIUSEPPE
Was he out drinking?
ROSA
That is not your business.
GIUSEPPE
It is my business if he hurts you.
ROSA
He does not hurt me. He does not touch me. He is a good man.
GIUSEPPE
But he did not go to church with you.
ROSA
You keep your big nose out. Go back to sweeping your floor.
(A bell on the door rings and GEORGIO, 43, enters. ROSA and GIUSEPPE look as GEORGIO bounds in.)
GIUSEPPE
Speak of the devil.
(He goes back to cleaning his station.
GEORGIO
Buona mattina!
(GEORGIO kisses ROSA on the cheek.)
GEORGIO
My beautiful wife. And there he is, my handsome, brooding brother.
GIUSEPPE
Good morning, Georgio.
GEORGIO
Good morning!
(GEORGIO sits down in the barber’s chair.)
GEORGIO
Giuseppe, I want the works.
GIUSEPPE
Oh you do?
GEORGIO
Si. I want to be treated like a king. I want a shave and a haircut and a little trim of the mustache.
ROSA
Would you like me to work on your nails too?
GEORGIO
Sure. Why not.
(GIUSEPPE and ROSA look at one another, confused. GIUSEPPE sets about giving GEORGIO and haircut and shave. ROSA moves her table next to the barber’s chair and begins working on GEORGIO’s nails.)
ROSA
So what brings you to the shop, mio amore? And what has put you into such a mood?
GEORGIO
Rosa, I am going to get a job.
ROSA
A job!
GEORGIO
Yes. You remember Carlo Palatino? He used to work at the garage?
ROSA
Yes. I remember.
GEORGIO
I ran into him at Luccio’s last night.
ROSA
Is that where you were.
GEORGIO
Listen to her, Giuseppe. As if she does not where I am at every hour of the day.
ROSA
I don’t!
GEORGIO
Anyway, Carlo Palatino.
GIUSEPPE
Yes.
GEORGIO
I run into him at Luccio’s. I buy him a few drinks and then he tells me, he tells me how he just got this job working at the MTA fixing up train cars. And he says to me, “Georgie”. He calls me Georgie, remember? “Georgie,” he tells me, “I’ve got it made.” Then he tells me about how they’re looking for a few more guys to round out their crew, and that I’d be perfect.
ROSA
But Georgio, you don’t know how to fix train cars.
GEORGIO
Doesn’t matter. They’ll teach me everything I need to know. And then the money will be flowing!
GIUSEPPE
Congratulations, Georgio. This is very good news. When do you start?
GEORGIO
First I have to go down to the MTA garage and talk to the manager. That will be easy. Carlo is putting a good word in for me. I’ll probably starting work next week.
ROSA
That is wonderful. I am very proud of you.
GEORGIO
I tell you, Giuseppe, it feels so good to have a job again.
GIUSEPPE
Papa always said that a man without a job is no man at all.
GEORGIO
Well, Papa would be proud today.
ROSA
Yes, dear. I know he would be.
GEORGIO
What is it today? Tuesday? Carlo said to see the manager on Wednesday.
GIUSEPPE
It is Monday. The 23rd.
GEORGIO
Monday the 23rd. A day to remember, eh Rosa? Monday the 23rd of...
(He suddenly recalls something. He sits up and looks at ROSA.)
GEORGIO
Oh, Rosa. I’m so sorry.
(ROSA looks at him, holding back tears.)
ROSA
It’s ok.
GEORGIO
I can’t believe I...Rosa...I am so...
(GEORGIO is overwhelmed with emotion. GIUSEPPE moves away from GEORGIO and ROSA. GEORGIO kisses ROSA.)
ROSA
It’s ok.
GEORGIO
No. No, it’s not. I will go right out and get flowers. A wreath. A big wreath of flowers. Red ones. Paulie always liked red flowers.
(GEORGIO stands up. He searches his pockets for money.)
GEORGIO
The biggest wreath of red flowers anyone can buy.
(He finds no money in his pockets and then he looks helplessly at ROSA. ROSA goes to her purse, gets some bills and gives them to GEORGIO.)
GEORGIO
I’ll have Delmontico’s deliver a big wreath.
ROSA
Ok.
GEORGIO
I’m sorry, Rosa.
(ROSA nods, not looking at him. GEORGIO acknowledges GIUSEPPE. The bell on the front door rings as GEORGIO exits. ROSA returns her table back to its original position from the beginning of the scene.)
GIUSEPPE
You had to give him money for a wreath?
ROSA
What was I supposed to do.
GIUSEPPE
He didn’t have enough money to buy some flowers for his own son’s grave?
ROSA
You know he never has any money.
GIUSEPPE
He has money. He just spends it at Luccio’s booze hall.
ROSA
Such a thing to say! About your brother.
GIUSEPPE
But it’s true. If he had not spent so much on drink, he might have saved Paulie in the first place.
ROSA
How? Millions were dying. Everyone was sick. How could he have stopped it?
GIUSEPPE
By getting a doctor?
ROSA
He didn’t have any money.
GIUSEPPE
He never has any money!
ROSA
Then why didn’t you get a doctor?
GIUSEPPE
It was not my place.
ROSA
But Paulie was yours!
GIUSEPPE
Ours!
ROSA
Yes. (Pause.) What were we supposed to do?
GIUSEPPE
I don’t know. Nothing. There was nothing that we could do.
ROSA
Such a thing to say.
(There is a long pause.)
GIUSEPPE
Would you like to go visit the cemetery with me, after work?
ROSA
Yes. I would.
GIUSEPPE
Ok.
(GIUSEPPE turns to his station and begins cleaning up. ROSA goes back to reading her newspaper. Lights out. End of scene.)
Any customers today, you think?
GIUSEPPE
You ask that every day. Why do you ask that?
ROSA
Times are hard.
GIUSEPPE
Yes, but people still have to get their hair cut. And some ladies, their nails done.
ROSA
Francesca Callamini cuts her husband’s hair at home. She says she don’t know why anyone would spend good money on a haircut.
GIUSEPPE
They spend good money on a haircut so they don’t end up looking like Fracnesca Callamini’s husband!
(ROSA stifles a laugh.)
ROSA
You know what day it is?
GIUSEPPE
Of course I know what day it is. It’s Monday.
ROSA
Yes, but do you know the date.
GIUSEPPE
(Impatiently) Yes. You think I forget these things, but I don’t.
ROSA
Did you go and visit?
GIUSEPPE
I will after work.
ROSA
Always leaving things to the last minute.
GIUSEPPE
He’s not going anywhere.
ROSA
(Shocked) Such a thing to say!
GIUSEPPE
Spiacente. I was not thinking.
ROSA
Such a thing to say.
GIUSEPPE
I’m sorry!
(Pause.)
GIUSEPPE
Did you visit?
ROSA
I will go after work.
GIUSEPPE
Ah ha! Now who is not thinking?!
ROSA
I went to church this morning! I did not have time.
GIUSEPPE
And I did?
ROSA
You never go to church.
(GIUSEPPE is amused, but quickly returns to a somber mood.)
GIUSEPPE
Did Giorgio go with you to church this morning?
(ROSA scoffs.)
ROSA
He was still asleep when I left the house.
GIUSEPPE
He should have gone with you.
ROSA
I cannot control what he does.
GIUSEPPE
He should have known to go with you. On today of all days.
ROSA
He was sleeping.
GIUSEPPE
Was he out drinking?
ROSA
That is not your business.
GIUSEPPE
It is my business if he hurts you.
ROSA
He does not hurt me. He does not touch me. He is a good man.
GIUSEPPE
But he did not go to church with you.
ROSA
You keep your big nose out. Go back to sweeping your floor.
(A bell on the door rings and GEORGIO, 43, enters. ROSA and GIUSEPPE look as GEORGIO bounds in.)
GIUSEPPE
Speak of the devil.
(He goes back to cleaning his station.
GEORGIO
Buona mattina!
(GEORGIO kisses ROSA on the cheek.)
GEORGIO
My beautiful wife. And there he is, my handsome, brooding brother.
GIUSEPPE
Good morning, Georgio.
GEORGIO
Good morning!
(GEORGIO sits down in the barber’s chair.)
GEORGIO
Giuseppe, I want the works.
GIUSEPPE
Oh you do?
GEORGIO
Si. I want to be treated like a king. I want a shave and a haircut and a little trim of the mustache.
ROSA
Would you like me to work on your nails too?
GEORGIO
Sure. Why not.
(GIUSEPPE and ROSA look at one another, confused. GIUSEPPE sets about giving GEORGIO and haircut and shave. ROSA moves her table next to the barber’s chair and begins working on GEORGIO’s nails.)
ROSA
So what brings you to the shop, mio amore? And what has put you into such a mood?
GEORGIO
Rosa, I am going to get a job.
ROSA
A job!
GEORGIO
Yes. You remember Carlo Palatino? He used to work at the garage?
ROSA
Yes. I remember.
GEORGIO
I ran into him at Luccio’s last night.
ROSA
Is that where you were.
GEORGIO
Listen to her, Giuseppe. As if she does not where I am at every hour of the day.
ROSA
I don’t!
GEORGIO
Anyway, Carlo Palatino.
GIUSEPPE
Yes.
GEORGIO
I run into him at Luccio’s. I buy him a few drinks and then he tells me, he tells me how he just got this job working at the MTA fixing up train cars. And he says to me, “Georgie”. He calls me Georgie, remember? “Georgie,” he tells me, “I’ve got it made.” Then he tells me about how they’re looking for a few more guys to round out their crew, and that I’d be perfect.
ROSA
But Georgio, you don’t know how to fix train cars.
GEORGIO
Doesn’t matter. They’ll teach me everything I need to know. And then the money will be flowing!
GIUSEPPE
Congratulations, Georgio. This is very good news. When do you start?
GEORGIO
First I have to go down to the MTA garage and talk to the manager. That will be easy. Carlo is putting a good word in for me. I’ll probably starting work next week.
ROSA
That is wonderful. I am very proud of you.
GEORGIO
I tell you, Giuseppe, it feels so good to have a job again.
GIUSEPPE
Papa always said that a man without a job is no man at all.
GEORGIO
Well, Papa would be proud today.
ROSA
Yes, dear. I know he would be.
GEORGIO
What is it today? Tuesday? Carlo said to see the manager on Wednesday.
GIUSEPPE
It is Monday. The 23rd.
GEORGIO
Monday the 23rd. A day to remember, eh Rosa? Monday the 23rd of...
(He suddenly recalls something. He sits up and looks at ROSA.)
GEORGIO
Oh, Rosa. I’m so sorry.
(ROSA looks at him, holding back tears.)
ROSA
It’s ok.
GEORGIO
I can’t believe I...Rosa...I am so...
(GEORGIO is overwhelmed with emotion. GIUSEPPE moves away from GEORGIO and ROSA. GEORGIO kisses ROSA.)
ROSA
It’s ok.
GEORGIO
No. No, it’s not. I will go right out and get flowers. A wreath. A big wreath of flowers. Red ones. Paulie always liked red flowers.
(GEORGIO stands up. He searches his pockets for money.)
GEORGIO
The biggest wreath of red flowers anyone can buy.
(He finds no money in his pockets and then he looks helplessly at ROSA. ROSA goes to her purse, gets some bills and gives them to GEORGIO.)
GEORGIO
I’ll have Delmontico’s deliver a big wreath.
ROSA
Ok.
GEORGIO
I’m sorry, Rosa.
(ROSA nods, not looking at him. GEORGIO acknowledges GIUSEPPE. The bell on the front door rings as GEORGIO exits. ROSA returns her table back to its original position from the beginning of the scene.)
GIUSEPPE
You had to give him money for a wreath?
ROSA
What was I supposed to do.
GIUSEPPE
He didn’t have enough money to buy some flowers for his own son’s grave?
ROSA
You know he never has any money.
GIUSEPPE
He has money. He just spends it at Luccio’s booze hall.
ROSA
Such a thing to say! About your brother.
GIUSEPPE
But it’s true. If he had not spent so much on drink, he might have saved Paulie in the first place.
ROSA
How? Millions were dying. Everyone was sick. How could he have stopped it?
GIUSEPPE
By getting a doctor?
ROSA
He didn’t have any money.
GIUSEPPE
He never has any money!
ROSA
Then why didn’t you get a doctor?
GIUSEPPE
It was not my place.
ROSA
But Paulie was yours!
GIUSEPPE
Ours!
ROSA
Yes. (Pause.) What were we supposed to do?
GIUSEPPE
I don’t know. Nothing. There was nothing that we could do.
ROSA
Such a thing to say.
(There is a long pause.)
GIUSEPPE
Would you like to go visit the cemetery with me, after work?
ROSA
Yes. I would.
GIUSEPPE
Ok.
(GIUSEPPE turns to his station and begins cleaning up. ROSA goes back to reading her newspaper. Lights out. End of scene.)