Monday, December 24, 2007

Excursion Into Philosophy




((Lights up on a small motel room in an east coast city. The walls and floor are a neutral yellow and there is a window that is open with sunlight streaming in. It is early morning. MARLA, a 24 year old redhead, is partly undressed. She is sleeping with her back towards the audience on top of the covers of a simple bed. JOHN, 54, is fully dressed. He sits on the bed, staring in deep thought at the floor. There is an open book next to him. The room is quiet and around it are strewn clothes, books and other various items. MARLA slowly wakes, yawns and turns to JOHN. She is bright and warm and speaks with a slight New Jersey accent.)

MARLA
Good morning, Professor.

(JOHN is broken out of his trance. He turns and acknowledges her.)

JOHN
Morning.

(MARLA yawns and stretches.)

MARLA
Boy that was some sleep. I haven’t had it that good for ages. Must be this bed. How’d you sleep?

JOHN
Fine. Not well. Short. I mean...

MARLA
Well you’re all sorts of confused, ain’tch ya?

JOHN
I slept well, thank you, but I awoke suddenly this morning. And I didn’t dream.

MARLA
That’s funny. I always dream.

JOHN
What do you dream about?

MARLA
Oh, I don’t know. Swimmin’ in the ocean. Runnin’ around like a wild animal. Last night I dreamed about eatin’ ice cream.

JOHN
You were having a sundae last night.

MARLA
Huh?

JOHN
When we met. You were eating a sundae.

MARLA
Oh yeah. Vanilla ice cream with hot fudge on top. That’s my favorite.

JOHN
Maybe it was the sundae that made you think about eating ice cream.

MARLA
I hadn’t thought of it, but I suppose that might’ve had somethin’ to do with it. Do you ever dream about things like that.

JOHN
Like what?

MARLA
Eatin’ ice cream.

JOHN
I used to. But lately...I’ve been dreaming of other things.

MARLA
What kinds ‘a’ things?

JOHN
People, mostly. A person.

MARLA
I never seem to dream about people. I wonder why that is. Oh well.

(She yawns again.)

MARLA
I don’t know about you, but a cup ‘a’ joe sure could do me a world of good.

(JOHN smiles warmly.)

JOHN
I thought you said you slept well.

MARLA
I did! But you can’t deny a girl a cup ‘a’ coffee in the morning. Not when she’s had a night like the one we had.

(She wraps her arms around him and smiles, satisfied.)

MARLA
So where we off to today, Professor?

JOHN
We are not going anywhere. I’ve got to catch the next train out to San Francisco.

(MARLA pulls away from JOHN.)

MARLA
Well that ain’t fair. You can’t take the goods and run like that.

JOHN
I think we were equally guilty in wanting the goods, Marla.

MARLA
Yeah, I suppose you’re right. When I saw you last night in the diner, lookin’ all sad and sorry, I couldn’t help but want to give you a little company. You were like a little lost puppy, is what you were.


JOHN
I felt like one. Lost. (Slight pause.) You’ll be all right, then?

MARLA
I’ll get by. I always do.

JOHN
You don’t need any money, do you?

MARLA
I don’t need nobody’s money, I’ll have you know.

JOHN
You’re not worried about what will happen next, if I leave you.

MARLA
I never think about what will happen next. I’ve been on my own since I was fourteen. And some sucker with an appetite for a girl like me will always turn up sooner or later. Not that I’d call you a sucker.

JOHN
Thank you.

MARLA
No. In fact, I like you Professor. And in a way, I kinda wish it had worked out between us.

JOHN
Me too.

MARLA
Say, you still got that book layin’ around?

JOHN
That book?

MARLA
Yeah. The one you was readin’ from last night.

JOHN
Leaves of Grass?

MARLA
That’s the one. Before you go, will you read me that poem again? The one about Abraham Lincoln? He was my favorite President when I was a kid.

JOHN
Well, um...certainly.

(He searches around for the book, which has been discarded on the floor. He finds it, picks it up and opens to O Captain, My Captain. MARLA listens. JOHN becomes emotional as he reads it, overcome with sadness as he reaches the end of the first stanza.)

JOHN
“O Captain my Captain! our fearful trip is done,
The ship has weathered every rack, the prize we sought is won,
The port is near, the bells I hear, the people all exulting,
While follow eyes the steady keel, the vessel grim and daring;
But O heart! heart! heart!
O the bleeding drops of red,
Where on the deck my Captain lies,
Fallen cold and dead.”

(MARLA puts her hand on JOHN’s. He stops reading.)

MARLA
It’s ok. You don’t have to read it anymore.

JOHN
Thank you. (Pause.) I should really go.

(He stands up and begins to pick up the clothes and personal items that have been strewn about the room. MARLA watches for a moment, then begins to help him. She offers a handful of items, including a gray men’s sweater, to JOHN.)

MARLA
Here.

(JOHN accepts the items. He notices the sweater and holds it out, showing MARLA.)

JOHN
This was his.

MARLA
Oh.

JOHN
I can’t keep it anymore. Here, you take it.

MARLA
No, I can’t take...

JOHN
No, please. Take it. And the book. Take the book too.

(He gives MARLA Leaves of Grass.)

MARLA
Thanks. It’s very sweet.

(JOHN looks at her for a long moment, then turns and stuffs his items into a large suitcase. MARLA is concerned but unsure of what to do. When JOHN finishes, he turns to her.)

JOHN
Goodbye.

MARLA
Good bye. And good luck.

(They look at one another for another long moment. JOHN turns and exits, leaving MARLA alone. Lights out. End of scene.)