It has been suggested that I post a little about the project so that people can refer to it from time to time.
THE PROJECT: HOPPER (Working Title)
Using the paintings of Edward Hopper as inspiration, we will write short plays that focus on urban living, isolation, voyeurism, eavesdropping, and varying definitions of intimacy. The end goal is to have 7-10 ten minute plays that may intertwine (or not) and create a full urban environment. The audience will be situated on porches, fire escapes, restaurant tables and train car seats as they are forced to peep/eavesdrop/spy on the individual stories.
THE WRITING PROCESS:
1. I have selected 30 paintings by Edward Hopper
2. Everyone is allowed to work from as many Hopper paintings as they like – but the pictures must be from the selected 30.
3. Please write a short play inspired by the painting, using the people, setting and/ or atmosphere of the picture.
4. While we are not setting this show during a specific year, please keep the plays true to the period represented in the painting.
5. At every writing meeting, we will be reading aloud and discussing the scripts. The discussion will include the questions: What would you like to see more of? Less Of? What was Clear? What was unclear? Some suggestions may be made to solve problems or work out critical areas in the scripts (which is natural in the course of discussion), but I ask that the “I would do this, I would do that” be kept to a minimum.
6. At the end of February, I will be collecting the plays submitted and compiling them into a master script. I am looking for 7-10 ten-minute plays. I will have a second set of eyes looking over the script as the compilation process starts.
7. At the end of March, any final re-writes of individual scripts are due.
8. Company Readings will begin in April.
9. The Final Script is due May 11.
SCHEDULE FOR WRITING MEETINGS
(Mondays seem to be best for most. If you have to miss one or two meetings, that’s fine, just let me know...but please make it a priority to be there.)
December 10, 7pm – Uptown Writer’s Space
January 14, 7pm – Uptown Writer’s Space
January 28, 7pm – Uptown Writer’s Space (Reading/discussing second and third drafts only)
February 11, 7pm – Uptown Writer’s Space
February 25, 7pm – Uptown Writer’s Space (Reading/discussing second, third or fourth drafts only)
March 10, 7pm - Uptown Writer’s Space
GETTING PAINTINGS
If you were unable to get to the meeting last night, I have hard copies of the remaining paintings at my house, or I can email you several of the jpegs I have, so you may choose one of those. Or you can look at this link: http://www.museumsyndicate.com/artist.php?artist=54
Attached to this email is the list of paintings I have selected. All of those paintings are on that link.
FAQs
1. Are we writing for Nighthawks?
As Joe said last night, damned if you do, damned if you don’t. For now, I’d like keep your focus on the other paintings. We may have an “All Nighthawks” meeting. But don’t let me squelch you. If you have a burning vision for something you’d like to write inspired by Nighthawks, go ahead. We’ll see what comes of it.
2. What if someone else takes my painting?
This will probably happen. Go ahead and write. There might be plenty of differences or similarities in your pieces. Perhaps it will add up to a collaboration. Whatever happens don’t say no to yourself before you begin. Write about the painting that inspires you and we’ll go from there.
3. Can I connect two paintings into one story?
Yes.
4. Are all the scripts going to be in the show?
With 30 paintings and a writing pool of 10-15 people, we won’t be able to use every piece. But it’s not a competition. I want everyone involved to write as much as they feel like contributing. Even if some pieces aren’t used, they might lead to longer, full-length plays. The important thing is to keep our company writing.
5. Do the scripts need to be realistic?
Since we're working with a painter that deals so heavily in Realism, I suggest that we keep it the scenes themselves fairly realistic. However, if we come across one that is more surreal and supports the overall theme of the show, I won't say no to it.