“Office at Night”Michael Brownlee – Draft 1
AT RISE: An outer office, late 30s early 40s. Late evening. The set looks as much like the painting as the budget allows. Mr. Franks sits at his desk, intently looking over a report. Ms. Green, his secretary, is lost in thought, standing at the open drawer of the cabinet.
Silence. Maybe some sounds from the city outside.
MR. FRANKS
(Not looking up.)Did you find it?
Ms. Green is snapped out of her daydream and flips through the files. She finds one and pulls it out.
MS. GREEN
Here it is.
As she passes it to him, their hands briefly touch, freezing them for an instant as they look at each other. Mr. Frank tries to quickly shake it off.
MR. FRANK
Thank you, Ms. Green.
He opens the file and begins comparing its contents with the report on his desk. Ms. Green, standing a little too close, doesn’t take her eyes off of him. He is trying to concentrate on the papers, but not having much luck. She turns to walk away and he quickly glances at her. She turns back around and his eyes return to the reports.
MS. GREEN
Will you be needing me anymore tonight?
The slightest hint of a pause.
MR. FRANK
(Trying not to look at her.)No. No, I don’t think so. Thank you. Goodnight, Ms. Green.
Silence. She doesn’t move for a moment. Finally, she exits. Mr. Frank steals another glance in her direction. He unconsciously rubs his forehead. Loosens his tie. Ms. Green enters, wearing a coat and hat. She is looking for something in her pocketbook. Mr. Franks is trying to make himself invisible. Ms. Green takes a small bottle of perfume out and daubs some on her wrists. She then takes out a lipstick and mirror. Mr. Franks becomes very aware of her smell. He watches her put on the lipstick. She places her pocketbook under her arm and begins to exit, walking towards the audience. Mr. Franks drinks her in.
MR. FRANKS
Ms. Green.
She stops but doesn’t turn around.
MR. FRANKS
Ms. Green?
She turns to him.
MS. GREEN
Yes, Mr. Franks?
MR. FRANKS
I, uh…I just wanted to…
She walks towards him.
MR. FRANKS
Wanted to apologize.
She stops.
MS. GREEN
Apologize?
MR. FRANKS
For keeping you so late the last couple of nights.
MS. GREEN
I don’t mind.
MR. FRANKS
Well, I just want you to know that I don’t plan on making a habit of it.
A flash of disappointment crosses her face, then she smiles.
MS. GREEN
It’s been quite nice, really.
MR. FRANKS
Nice?
MS. GREEN
The office is so peaceful at night.
MR. FRANKS
I suppose it is.
MS. GREEN
Sometimes I like to imagine we’re the only two people left in the world.
He laughs.
MS. GREEN
Are you laughing at me, Mr. Franks?
MR. FRANKS
No. It just struck me as funny. The only two people left in the world, and I’m still trying to balance the books.
MS. GREEN
Well, you aren’t doing that when I imagine it.
MR. FRANKS
Oh? What am I doing?
Ms. Green has to look away in case Mr. Franks sees the answer in her eyes.
MS. GREEN
I’m sorry, I’m being silly. I should let you get back to work.
She begins to walk away. Now the disappointment is on Mr. Franks’ face.
MR. FRANKS
Ms. Green.
She stops.
MS. GREEN
Yes?
MR. FRANKS
You should be prepared to work late, again, tomorrow night.
She smiles.
MR. FRANKS
Maybe…all week.
She beams.
MS. GREEN
Yes, Mr. Franks. Good night, Mr. Franks.
She exits. He goes back to his reports.